Historical information

An item forming part of a collection of costumes, photographs and documents relating to the Weir family who lived in a mansion, originally named Illapa, at 84 Princess Street, Kew, from c.1917 to 1950. This historically significant collection includes items relating to both George Weir (1866-1937), his wife Edith Mary Weir (1867-1948) and their children. George Weir attained national prominence in the mining industry, becoming General Manager of the North Broken Hill Silver Mining Company in 1903 (later renamed North Broken Hill Mining Company 1905-12, and North Broken Hill Ltd 1912-1988), and subsequently President of the Mine Owners Association. He was to remain General Manager of North Broken Hill Ltd until his retirement in 1926.

Physical description

Small black and white photograph of a panoramic view from the tower of 84 Princess Street, Kew during the occupation of the house by the Weir family during the years 1918-1950. The house and garden had formerly been named Illapa and then Parcnacilla. In 1950 the family sold the house to a religious order who renamed the house 'The Towers'. It now forms part of 'Rylands'.