Subdivision Plan - Harvest Home Estate
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- The ‘Harvest Home Estate’ was advertised as being a subdivision in East Kew. Now, Campbell and Owen Streets on which the allotments were located are classed as being in Kew. The Estate included 11 residential allotments abutting the Outer Circle Railway line [at the end of Owen Street]. Understandably, the vendors focused on the availability of transport by tram, noting that the Estate was near the High Street tram terminus at the Harp of Erin. A small note on the subdivision advises that the Cotham Road tram was only 3 minutes away. The location – ‘The most elevated position in lovely Kew’ – was also promoted as an advantage.
- H 230 mm x W 280 mm
- subdivision plans - east kew, harvest home estate
- Pru Sanderson, in her groundbreaking ‘City of Kew Urban Conservation Study : Volume 2 - Development History’ (1988), summarised the periods of urban development and subdivisions of land in Kew. The periods that she identified included 1845-1880, 1880-1893, 1893-1921, 1921-1933, 1933-1943, and Post-War Development. These periods were selected as they represented periods of rapid growth or decline in urban development. An obvious starting point for Sanderson’s groupings involved population growth and the associated economic cycles. These cycles also highlighted urban expansion onto land that was predominantly rural, although in other cases it represented the decline and breakup of large estates. A number of the plans in the Kew Historical Society’s collection can also be found in other collections, such as those of the State Library of Victoria and the Boroondara Library Service. A number are however unique to the collection.
- The Kew Historical Society collection includes almost 100 subdivision plans pertaining to suburbs of the City of Melbourne. Most of these are of Kew, Kew East or Studley Park, although a smaller number are plans of Camberwell, Deepdene, Balwyn and Hawthorn. It is believed that the majority of the plans were gifted to the Society by persons connected with the real estate firm - J. R. Mathers and McMillan, 136 Cotham Road, Kew. The Plans in the collection are rarely in pristine form, being working plans on which the agent would write notes and record lots sold and the prices of these. The subdivision plans are historically significant examples of the growth of urban Melbourne from the beginning of the 20th Century up until the 1980s. A number of the plans are double-sided and often include a photograph on the reverse. A number of the latter are by noted photographers such as J.E. Barnes.
- 22 Oct 2017 at 3:57PM