Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Subdivision Plan - Normanby Estate, East Kew

From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

Description
The Normanby Estate, which was adjacent to Normanby Road, Kew East, included thirty-one lots for sale. Streets on the subdivision plan include Adeney Avenue, Park Hill Road, Normanby Road, Weir Street and Wharton Street. Cotham Road and its tramway are shown nearby. The plan is interesting as it shows Wharton Street, named after the architect and town planner George Wharton, who was the first chairman of the Municipality of Kew. The street was to later be renamed Cecil Street. Also shown are proposed ‘Municipal Gardens’ where Parkhill Drive is now located.
Size
H 33 mm x W 25 mm
Object Registration
2016.0340
Keywords
subdivision plans - kew, normanby estate
Historical information
Pru Sanderson, in her groundbreaking ‘City of Kew Urban Conservation Study : Volume 2 - Development History’ (1988), summarised the periods of urban development and subdivisions of land in Kew. The periods that she identified included 1845-1880, 1880-1893, 1893-1921, 1921-1933, 1933-1943, and Post-War Development. These periods were selected as they represented periods of rapid growth or decline in urban development. An obvious starting point for Sanderson’s groupings involved population growth and the associated economic cycles. These cycles also highlighted urban expansion onto land that was predominantly rural, although in other cases it represented the decline and breakup of large estates. A number of the plans in the Kew Historical Society’s collection can also be found in other collections, such as those of the State Library of Victoria and the Boroondara Library Service. A number are however unique to the collection.
When Made
1913
Significance
The Kew Historical Society collection includes almost 100 subdivision plans pertaining to suburbs of the City of Melbourne. Most of these are of Kew, Kew East or Studley Park, although a smaller number are plans of Camberwell, Deepdene, Balwyn and Hawthorn. It is believed that the majority of the plans were gifted to the Society by persons connected with the real estate firm - J. R. Mathers and McMillan, 136 Cotham Road, Kew.

The Plans in the collection are rarely in pristine form, being working plans on which the agent would write notes and record lots sold and the prices of these.

The subdivision plans are historically significant examples of the growth of urban Melbourne from the beginning of the 20th Century up until the 1980s. A number of the plans are double-sided and often include a photograph on the reverse. A number of the latter are by noted photographers such as J.E. Barnes.
Last updated
22 Oct 2017 at 3:43PM