Photograph - A.J. McConchie, Mayor [of Kew] 1927-8
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Framed portrait of Cr. A.J. McConchie, Mayor of Kew 1927-8, 1945-6. The mounting and framing of the photograph follows a typical layout or style in that each is framed in dark wood, glazed, and laid down on an inscribed board. The inscription identifies the name of the mayor and the year/s that he/she served.
- mayors of kew (vic), cr. a.j. mcconchie, australian photographers -burlington - melbourne (vic)
- ca. 1928
- Burlington (Photographer)
- This historically significant collection of civic portraits was presented by the former City of Kew to the the Kew Historical Society in 1987. It comprises 85 original photographs, and two portraits of the former Clerks covering the period from 1863 to 1969. The earliest photographs date from ca.1906, when the Town of Kew Council commissioned the noted local photographer Josiah E Barnes to make copy photographs of earlier images of Kew mayors and to photograph the current mayor for a display in its Council Chamber in Walpole Street, Kew. The photographs are large format and handsomely framed. The collection also includes photographs by other well-known photographic studios such as Burlington Studios, Melba – Melbourne, Stuart Tompkins, Spencer Shier and Talma & Co - the majority of the photographs are signed by the photographer, and have the dates of office of the mayor inscribed on the mount. There are only three missing portraits in the series. 80 photographs are housed in their original frames – the early photographs were framed by Beaument's Art Gallery, Picture Framing and Mount Cutting specialists, a business previously located next to the Hawthorn Town Hall in Burwood Road.
- [Inscription] A.J. McConchie, Mayor 1927-8
Photographer] "Burlington / Melbourne"
- 23 Dec 2018 at 10:39AM