Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Document - Borough of Kew - Gazetted Streets [1865-1937]

From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc 1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria

27-page document compiled by officers of the Borough, Town and City of Kew, listing the names of streets taken over by Council, and providing details of their naming and gazettiing. The document covers the period of 1865 to 1937.
Attached Files
Object Registration
borough of kew, town of kew, city of kew - gazetted streets
Historical information
The Melbourne suburb of Kew gained independence from the Boroondara Roads Board in 1861, being declared a Municipality in that year. Kew became a Borough in 1863, a Town in 1910, and a City in 1921. The former City of Kew became part of a newly declared City of Boroondara in 1994. This very fragile document records the following information about streets in Kew - Name, Total Width, Width of Carriageway, Description, Government Gazetted - Year & Page.
When Made
Made By
Borough of Kew (Maker)
While the names of streets was formally acknowledged and published in the Victorian Government Gazettes, the document, compiled by a public officer, probably in the Town Clerk's Department, is the earliest known local record listing street names in the Borough, and later Town then City of Kew. The front page indicates that in 1865, the responsibility for an initial 36 streets in Kew was taken over by Council. The final annotation in the document was made in 1937. The document is an important record for researchers seeking to understand the naming of streets in the district.
Inscriptions & Markings
Handwritten document
Last updated
9 Apr 2020 at 8:13AM