Historical information

The 1st Kew Scouts was one of the first Scout Troops in Victoria, being formed in 1909. From 1927 they met in a magnificent Scout Hall in Disraeli Street, Kew until it was demolished in 1993. Still operating (in 2020) from their new Scout Hall on the corner of Kilby Road and Kellett Grove, Kew.

Physical description

1st Kew Scouts with the Governor of Victoria and Chief Scout, Lord Somers. For many years Victorian Scouts participated in a competition camp at the Gilwell Park Scout Camp at Gembrook. The Governor of Victoria has traditionally taken on the honorary role of Victorian Chief Scout and would have been visiting the camp to encourage the Scouts. The names of the Scouts featured in the photograph are inscribed on the mount and include two Rovers, who would have been acting as Scout Leaders on the camp, and two Scouts (who are peeling some spuds for dinner).

Inscriptions & markings

Front: "Gembrook, Easter, 1928 / Rover C.H. Fraser 1st Croxton, Rover A.A. Drohan 1st Kew / His Excellency Lord Somers Chief Scout of Victoria / Scouts Whelan & Sturdy 1st Kew"