Historical information

The Kew Historical Society's postcard collection includes views of Kew, Melbourne and Greater Melbourne as well as those including overseas scenes sent or received from Europe or the Middle East. They date from the 1890s to the 2000s. These postcards may or may not include the name of the publisher or printer. A number of the cards were published as parts of popular series. A way of dating early postcards is to identify whether the reverse was divided by a central line which became the norm after 1902 in the United Kingdom. However, other postcards produced after this date do not always conform to this print layout.

Significance

Historic postcard of local significance showing the layout of the Alexandra Gardens in Kew. The gardens were opened in 1908 and designed/planted by the Pockett Brothers, so the planting reflects their horticultural style as well as that of the period. The postcard also depicts the Kew Jubilee Rotunda (later demolished and replaced by a second structure in 1988).

Physical description

Monochrome postcard showing the original 'Jubilee Rotunda' in the Alexandra Gardens in Cotham Road.

Inscriptions & markings

Alexandra Gardens, Kew
Oastler Leading Stationer, Kew / Printed in Saxony