Historical information

Victoria Bridge is a riveted and welded steel Warren truss bridge over the Yarra River completed in 1884 to a design by Fraser & Chase following a controversial design competition held in 1880. Funds for the bridge's construction were provided by the councils of Collingwood, Hawthorn, Kew and Richmond. The contract was awarded to Mr P. Platt. Charles Rowand was officially appointed Supervising Engineer in 1883. The winning design was based on the theoretical work of William Charles Kernot (1845-1909) who campaigned for economy in public works design and the application of scientific principles in engineering. ... The bridge was widened in 1890 by the addition of a third line of truss on new piers on the up stream side to carry horse trams. Work commenced in 1914 to convert the horse tramway to an electric tramway by the Prahran & Malvern Tramways Trust, part of the Trust's extension of its tramway into the eastern suburbs between 1913-18. In 1915 the bridge was further strengthened to accommodate the extra weight of electric trams and widened by the addition of two six feet cantilever footpaths. During this period the Prahran & Malvern Tramways Trust erected two ornamental gantries over the roadway to support overhead wires for the electric tramway. Further widening and reconditioning of the bridge took place in 1933, including the addition of four new welded trusses, two intermediate and two on the outside. The latter were supported on new cantilevered truss cross beams attached to the top of the piers. (Source: Heritage Victoria)


Early and rare postcard of the Victoria Street Bridge linking Victoria Street and Barkers Road.

Physical description

Polychrome postcard of the Victoria Street Bridge which links Richmond and Abbotsford with Kew and Hawthorn.

Inscriptions & markings

View from Harrison Cres embankment / former Xavier College boatshed on site of tree in foreground. / Chimney left corner - Wool Scoring Mils in Victoria St. / On horizon - Studley Villa, Studley House circa 1880s, Studley Hall / Chinese gardens to be seen behind three set of columns / M.J. Slattery