Postcard - Bird's Eye View of Melbourne
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Bird's eye view of Melbourne looking across a park to the Princess Theatre. Coloured postcard. Weir collection.
- H 88 mm x W 138 mm. approx
- postcards, george and edith weir, princess theatre, eastern hill - melbourne
- Collection of thirty-nine postcards donated by Jillian Rigby which had been owned by her grandparents, George and Edith Weir, who from c.1917 lived at 84 Princess Street, Kew. The mostly 'mint' postcards were purchased in Victoria and while travelling overseas. The sole dated postcard is dated from 1929. The postcards are numbered sequentially from 2017.0058.01-39. The remainder of the collection donated by Jill Rigby which was once owned by the Weirs of Broken Hill and Kew consist of costumes, costume accessories, photographs, and documents.
- The postcards in the Weir collection, especially those purchased on a trip or trips to the mother country, i.e. United Kingdom, represent a representative sample of sites that were considered significant to those Australians undertaking a reverse grand tour by member of the erstwhile colonies. Those postcards which are early views of Melbourne must have been produced commercially for some decades from the early part of the 20th century.
- 31 Aug 2017 at 7:22AM