Historical information

On the 14th May 1927 his Excellency Lord Somers, in the presence of a large assemblage opened Braille Hall at the Braille Library (now Vision Australia Library) in Commercial Road, South Yarra. To mark appreciation of the gift of the hall by the two benefactors Edward Wilson and Richard Gibson, the committee placed two of the stained glass windows on each side of the hall’s fireplace. Commissioned by Librarian Miss Millicent Ritchie, the windows depict four British authors - Scott, Milton, Shakespeare and Dickens.
They were removed from South Yarra in 1999 for conservation work and cleaning prior to their relocation to Kooyong in 2001. In 2017 refurbishment works made the windows redundant however they were reinstalled either side of the main entranceway in 2018.

Physical description

4 x stained glass windows depicting famous writers