Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Image

From the Collection of Vision Australia 454 Glenferrie Road Kooyong Victoria

Description
3 col. images of stained glass window in St Kilda Road building
Object Registration
unknown
Keywords
royal victorian institute for the blind
Historical information
During the construction of the St Kilda Road building for the Asylum and School for the Blind (later known as the Royal Victorian Institute for the Blind), the Melbourne firm of Ferguson and Urie were commissioned to create a stained glass window for the main staircase. This consisted of six panes, with a different emblem in each: three yellow lions (Royal Coat of Arms), a harp with a figurehead (Kingdom of Ireland), a red lion (Wales), a Tudor rose (England), a shamrock (Ireland) and a thistle (Scotland).
When Made
1868
Last updated
26 Sep 2017 at 2:56PM