Historical information - RECHABITES - The Star of Kew Tent, No. 260. This branch of the Independent Order of Rechabites was founded in September, 1882, when the following members were installed as the first officers by the district officers, viz. Chief Ruler, Bro. W. H. Bardwell; Deputy Ruler, Bro. C. Viney; Past Chief Ruler, Bro. J. V. Morgan; Treasurer, Bro. R. Eyre; Money Steward, Bro. A. Brown; Levite, Bro. W. H. Richardson; Guardian, Bro. J. Wathen; Secretary, Bro. T. J. Eaton. Bros. W. H. Bardwell, T. J. Eaton, and F. J. Legge were appointed as trustees. It is interesting to note that three of the foundation members, Messrs. Bardwell, Eaton, and Richardson, and still members of the tent. The first meetings were held in the Mission Hall, but for many years the meeting place of the tent has been the Kew Town Hall. The funds of the tent have gradually accumulated until at the last audit they amounted to £2,097. For many years past the interest on the funds has been more than sufficient to meet all claims for sick pay. The total membership is now 140. The following past secretaries have been mainly instrumental in placing the tent in its present position:-Bros. T. J. Eaton, W. H. Bardwell, C. B. Gray, and C. L. Churcher. The present officers are :- C.R., Bro. R. M. Jones; D.R., Bro. T. H. B. Williams; P.C.R., Bro. C. H. Green; Treasurer, Bro. W. J. Thornton; Secretary, Bro. F. C. W. Hurrell. Junior Branch. A junior branch was founded in 1883, and while its membership has fluctuated considerably according to the enthusiasm of the management, it has been the means of introducing many members to the senior tent. Its membership is now 41. Female Branch. Lily of Kew Tent, No. 20. This branch was formed in October, 1904, and has accomplished good work. Its membership is 38. Much of its success is due to the untiring energy of its secretary, Mrs. J Jaycock. Source: Barnard, FGA, Jubilee History of Kew, Victoria, 1910
This document forms part of a large collection of material assembled by the Rogers family of Kew and donated by the family to the Kew Historical Society by Dorothy Rogers or by her sons. The items in the collection have social and spiritual significance and are also historically significant. Items such as this coloured lithograph have a degree of artistic and aesthetic significance as representative examples of the certificate designers art in the 19th Century.
A certificate awarded to W. H. Richardson (the father of the historian Dorothy Rogers) by the ‘Juvenile Tent No.157 in appreciation of his role as ‘Superintendent’. The certificate notes that 1887 was the fourth anniversary of the Juvenile Tent. The Star of Kew Tent No. 260 had been formed in 1882 as a branch of the Independent Order of Rechabites. W. H. Richardson was a founding member.