Board Room Table - Clear varnished timber table with a two piece glass top
Table legs are turned timber on wheels x 5. Two at each end and one in the centre.
Chairs - Clear varnished timber with leather cushions x 20.
Each chair has an engraved plaque with an officer's name from 24th Battalion, with the exception of one who died shortly after returning to Australia all were KIA in various battles during WW1. The 24th Battalion (the Kooyong Regiment) Robinson Road, Surrey Hills. Vic
The table and chairs once belonged to the Officers' Mess, 24th Battalion. From 1928 - 1936 the CO 24th Battallion was Lt Col S.G. Savige, DSO MC. It was during this time that the chairs were made and used for dining-in nights. During the a ceremony of remembrance, each officer stood behind his chair and called the name on its back as a mark of respect for those KIA during WW1.
At the inaugural meeting of the Club, from which arose Melbourne Legacy in September 1923, eight of the fourteen members had worn the colour patch of 24th Battalion.
The connection to Savige and the fact that many of his officers from 24th Battalion became members of Melbourne Legacy. This table and its chairs were formally gifted to Melbourne Legacy on 9th May 1956 when the Club moved to Legacy House. They have been used since in the Club's Board Room, now located on level 1, Legacy House, 293 Swanston Street, Melbourne.
Two Legatees were responsible for fully refurbishing the table and chairs - Legatee Gordon Beith (Morrabbin Branch) and Legatee Ted McKenzie (Footscray/Sunshine Branch)
Inscriptions & Markings
Names inscribed on each chair: Lt A.L. Bacon, 2Lt W.A. Baldie, Capt J.C.L. Biggsley, Lt P.S. Carne MSM, Lt J.B.N. Carvick MC, Lt J.R. Clarke, 2Lt F.M. Coffee, Lt P.G. Denton-Fethers, Lt W.S. Finlay, Capt J.H. Fletcher, Lt A.C. Fogarty, 2Lt A.G. Gilchrist, Lt J. Harris, Lt A.J. Kerr, Maj. C.E. Manning, Capt G.L. Maxfield MC, 2Lt H.L. Rhynehart, Capt W.H. Tatnall, 2Lt R.N. Thomas, Capt C.M. Williams MC