WADE, Ivan Mayor 1969-70, 1970-71 Ivan Wade grew up in Bendigo and Brunswick, one of eight children. After his marriage, he moved with his wife and young family to Kew in 1951. In 1959, he took a year’s sabbatical in 1959 to build a new family home for his wife and four children at 222 Cotham Road, Kew. He worked professionally in the Meat Industry, successfully building a small chain of retail butcher shops, and a meat exporting business. He worked for improvements in the Trade through involvement in the Meat and Allied Trades Federation, of which he was the first State, and then Federal President. He was to be awarded an OBE for his services to the Meat Industry in 1979. Having been a long-time member of Melbourne Lions Club, he helped start Chadstone Lions’ Club as an inaugural tenant of the Chadstone Shopping Centre in 1979. He was also a tireless worker for charity, making his home available for functions raising funds for local groups. His passion for the community led him to stand for Kew Council as a representative of College Ward. As a councillor, he was elected mayor for two terms. During his term of office, new Kew Municipal Offices were constructed in Cotham Road. An active worker for the Kew Elder Citizens Association, he was involved in the establishment of an Opportunity Shop in Walpole Street to raise funds for the development of a new Centre in High Street. The Opportunity Shop was used to train locally unemployed youth skills such as furniture repair. (GW)
Silver presentation trowel associated with the opening of significant civic projects in the former City of Kew.
Commemorative, inscribed silver-plated presentation trowel given by the City of Kew to the Mayor, Cr Ivan Wade, on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone of the new Kew Civic Centre on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street, now part of Trinity Grammar School. The silver trowel was presented in a black leather case lined with blue velvet. The trowel was to be used a second time in 1982 when Cr Wade and his wife laid the foundation stone of Hamer Court. The trowel was later donated to Kew Historical Society Inc by Gwlad Wade, the wife of Cr Ivan Wade, on 20 August 2000.
Inscriptions & markings
Front: "Presented to Cr Wade J.P. / Mayor of / the City of Kew / at the laying of the / foundation stone / of the / Kew Civic Centre /20-8-1971." Reverse: This trowel was also used / by / Cr Ivan Wade OBE JP & Mrs Gwlad Wade / at the laying / of the foundation stone / of / "Hamer Court" / Hostel for the Aged / 22nd August 1982"