The Ballarat Trades Hall building is located at 24 Camp Street, Ballarat. The foundation stone was laid in October 1887. (Architects were Messrs James and Piper and builders were Messrs Lietch and Outtrim.) Over several decades, the façade of the building has fallen into disrepair and was posing a safety risk. Thanks to Victorian heritage grants and ongoing public donations, refurbishment of the façade is currently underway by Troon Pty Ltd. The photos in this entry show the deterioration of the building and the progress in restoring it to its former state. Progress catalogued by date: 13 February 2018 - 1 photo 19 February 2018 - 1 photo 23 February 2018 - 1-6 photos 5 March 2018 - 1-5 photos 12 March - 1 photo 4 April 2018 - 1-6 photos 18 April 2018 - 1-7 photos 23 April 2018 - 1 photo. The top of our restored building starts to poke out as the scaffold comes down level by level - the rendered wash-coat colour looks fantastic in the sun - as close as we can get to the original 1887 colour.
The Hall is a community hub in Ballarat as well as being the point of contact and activism for unions and unionists in the area. These photographs are a critical part of the building's history.
Photographs of Ballarat Trades Hall renovations.