The Free Kindergarten Union of Victoria commenced teacher training in 1909. A two year course was run in cooperation with the Education Department in 1910-14, but from 1917 the Union trained its students independently. In 1922 the Kindergarten Training College was established in Mooroolbeek, Kew. In 1965, the institution, as the Melbourne Kindergarten Teachers' College, became an entity separate from the Union, and in 1973 joined the State College of Victoria as the Institute of Early Childhood Development. It subsequently amalgamated with the University of Melbourne to become the Department of Early Childhood Studies and moved from Madden Grove, Kew, to 234 Queensberry St, Carlton, early in July 1997.
Small brass plaque mounted on wood commemorating the libraries of the Kindergarten Training College in Kew.
Inscriptions & markings
The library of the Kindergarten Training College in which are incorporated the Doretta Hedderwick Memorial 1927, the Dorothy Rosner Memorial 1936, the George Sweet Memorial Library - Presented by the Nursery Kindergarten Exrension Board 1950