The Free Kindergarten Union of Victoria commenced teacher training in 1909. A two year course was run in cooperation with the Education Department in 1910-14, but from 1917 the Union trained its students independently. In 1922 the Kindergarten Training College was established in Mooroolbeek, Kew. In 1965, the institution, as the Melbourne Kindergarten Teachers' College, became an entity separate from the Union, and in 1973 joined the State College of Victoria as the Institute of Early Childhood Development. It subsequently amalgamated with the University of Melbourne to become the Department of Early Childhood Studies and moved from Madden Grove, Kew, to 234 Queensberry St, Carlton, early in July 1997.
Metal alloy plaque commemorating the opening of a building by the Premier of Victoria, Sir Henry Bolte, on 10th December 1969
Inscriptions & markings
This building was opened by the Honorable Sir Henry Bolte KCMG MLA, Premier of Victoria, on the 10th December 1969