Photo, Olive Tree 1973
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo x 3 of a tree planting at the Shrine of Remembrance.
- golden jubilee, tree planting, frank doolan, 50th anniversary
- A photo of the planting of the Olive Tree of Peace in the Western Lawn of the Shrine of Remembrance in 1973. Pencil inscription on reverse says "Frank Doolan planting the commemorative 'Lone Pine' tree for Legacy. Beside him is Geoff Handbury, ___ President and Sir Ed Herring, Sir Fred Schenger (?), Kevin (?), Col Rex Hall, George Cowan. It is to be noted that it was not a lone pine but an olive tree that was planted.
Also a photo of Frank Doolan standing by the tree he has just planted. Legatee Frank Doolan was a founding member of Legacy and given the honour of planting the tree. The plaque reads "1923 1973 / This olive tree symbolising peace marks fifty years of Legacy service to the widows of ex-servicemen and their children."
1973 was the Golden Jubilee year of Legacy (see also item 00441).
- A record of events to commemorate the golden jubilee of Legacy.
- 00442.1 Pencil inscription, some illegible
00442.2 Stamped "This Photograph is the compliments of the Ministry of Tourism, Government of Victoria. Please acknowledge / Photo: Michael Cheshire" in black ink.
- 23 Aug 2020 at 12:17PM