Historical information

Dight’s Falls in Studley Park is an artificial weir built on a natural rock bar across the Yarra. The weir was built in the 1840s to provide water to the ‘Ceres’ flour-mill, one of the first in Victoria. The falls were later to become known as Dight’s Falls after the owners of the mill. Later, a pumping station was built on the Kew side of the river, which pumped water uphill to a reservoir in Walmer Street that provided water to the Melbourne Botanical Gardens and to Albert Park Lake. The area around Dight’s Falls was and is frequently used for recreational activities.


This photograph forms part of the collection assembled by the historian Dorothy Rogers, that was donated to the Kew Historical Society by her son John Rogers in 2015. The manuscripts, photographs, maps, and documents were sourced by her from both family and local collections or produced as references for her print publications. Many were directly used by Rogers in writing ‘Lovely Old Homes of Kew’ (1961) and 'A History of Kew' (1973), or the numerous articles on local history that she produced for suburban newspapers. Most of the photographs in the collection include detailed annotations in her hand. The Rogers Collection provides a comprehensive insight into the working habits of a historian in the 1960s and 1970s. Together it forms the largest privately-donated collection within the archives of the Kew Historical Society.

Physical description

Black and white photograph of the Richardson family seated on the Kew side of Dight's Falls in 1920. One of the girls in the photograph was to become the Melbourne historian Dorothy (Richardson) Rogers.

Inscriptions & markings

Annotation on reverse: "Mrs D. Rogers, 29 Park Crst Kew. Dights Falls 1920"