Photograph - Broken Hill City Band 1906
From the Collection of Victorian Bands' League 2/157 Hyde Street Yarraville Victoria
- Rectangular black and white photograph mounted on card.
- L 21.6cm - W 16.5cm
- broken hill city band, kalgoorlie and goldfields infantry and regimental band, broken hill, kalgoorlie, victoria, victorian bands' association, ballarat, royal south street society
- This is a very old photograph of the Broken Hill City Band. it was most likely taken on their visit to Ballarat where they competed in the 1906 South Street Eisteddfod. One of the other bands that competed in their section was the 'Kalgoorlie and Goldfields Infantry and Regimental Band'. The speculation being that this photo was presented to, or was supposed to be presented to the Kalgoorlie Band. The Broken Hill City Band won many prizes at South Street in the band sections and the solo sections over the years. Their modern iteration is the Barrier Industrial Unions (BIU) Brass Band.
- ca. 1906
- This photo shows the Broken Hill City Band when it was still relatively young. It is unknown just how many photos exist of the Broken Hill City Band from this era, however, it is very special to the banding movement. It is even more significant because of the handwritten message to the Kalgoorlie Band as it signifies a link between these two ensembles, and the similarities in the towns - both very remote and based on mining.
- Top: Broken Hill City Band 1906
Bottom: with Compliments to Kalgoorlie Band
- 8 Aug 2018 at 1:38PM