Photograph - Geelong Harbour Trust Band, 1910
From the Collection of Victorian Bands' League 2/157 Hyde Street Yarraville Victoria
- Rectangular black & white photograph mounted on card
- H 24.5cm - L 30.4cm
- geelong harbour trust band, victorian bands' association, victorian bands' league, malvern tramways band, harry shugg, ballarat
- The Geelong Harbour Trust Band was one of five brass bands existing in the Geelogn area in the early 1900's. They were quite successful in competition under the direction of conductor Mr Harry Shugg. After their conductor Harry Shugg left to conduct the Malvern Tramways Band in 1915, the band merged with the Geelong Municipal Band to become the Geelong City Band. This photo, which matches a postcard in our collection, has most likely been taken in 1910 after their competition win at the Royal South Street Society competition in Ballarat.
- J. Lockwood (Photographer)
- This photo is significant as it provides a historical window on the activities of this (former) brass band and their achievements. It is also significant as it is an identical photo to one of our postcards.
- Front: J. Lockwood, Geelong
Back: Geelong Harbour Trust Band
- 11 Aug 2018 at 8:14PM