Historical information

The two hand-held, portable kerosene lamps each have green enamel caps over the glass. They were used from around the 1930s until 1993, and one is now located on the groundfloor level of the lighthouse and the other is in the assistant lightkeeper’s quarters. The brand name of the Point Hicks lamp, while not stated is probably Coleman, Tilley or Austramax, which were all similarly made, portable pressurised kerosene lamps. Coleman brand pressure lamps and lanterns were first made in about 1905 by American, William Coleman, and their English competitor was the firm, Tilley. The Australian company Austramax began manufacturing kerosene pressure lamps in Brunswick in 1946, making the bases and the workings by hand, turning out 1000s of lamps each week. Portable lamps were used worldwide where bright light was needed and they became essential as an emergency back-up source of light for the lightstation as well as the lantern room. Through the multiplication of light by the lighthouse lenses, they could provide a tower with a 26 nautical mile range. Lamps similar to the two Point Hicks examples can be found at Gabo Island, one of which is a green enamelled Austramax lamp; Cape Nelson (Austramax), and similar lamps are held at Cape Schanck and Cape Otway.


The two Point Hicks lamps have first level contributory significance for their historic value and provenance, and as representative examples of lamps that were widely used in Australian lightstations between the 1930s and 1960s.

Physical description

PHLS0008.1 & PHLS0008.2 Pressurised kerosene lamp, cover over glass is made of green enamelled metal.