Historical information

Pulleys were used to lift goods to and from boats and at other sites at the lightstation where hauling was undertaken. Historical images and text panels in the Wilsons Promontory Museum attest to the detailed logistics that needed to be exercised in lifting and transporting goods once they had arrived by boat at the Eastern Landing. Cranes and a flying fox were employed in the nineteenth century and updated versions of this equipment served well into the twentieth century. The first cranes to be employed at the site were built just after December 1857, when tenders were called to construct two cranes prior to the commencement of building the lightstation.180 The first boat landing at the promontory was built on the west side of the lighthouse, which the architect, Charles Maplestone sketched in June 1859, the same month that he announced the completion of the lighthouse.His drawing shows one of the cranes as a large structure built for heavy duty lifting. Soon the east landing became the preferred place for delivering stores, but as late as 1993 a crane, timber structures and disused heavy iron machinery remained at the old site.

Physical description

Large iron pulley with loop at one end and hook at the other, rusted.