Historical information

The ceramic insulators were used by the PMG to insulate telephone lines connecting to the lightstation accommodation. The installation of a single galvanised wire telegraph line in 1873 provided the lightstation with a vital link to the outside world via Morse code. In 1875, the Australasian Sketcher reported on the new facility, writing that ‘the lighthouse on the extreme point of the promontory is connected with Melbourne by a line of telegraph, and as a large number of vessels pass in sight of the lighthouse, useful information is gained respecting their movements’.The system was immobilised in 1885 when a thunderstorm caused some of the poles to explode and connection wires to fuse and turn into molten metal. During WWII the lighthouse line was upgraded to four copper wires, and in 1971 a radio link replaced the line. The lines required constant maintenance. Some poles remain along the length of the promontory’s Telegraph Track as reminders of this former communication link. Insulators can also be found in the collections at Cape Schanck; Cape Otway and Gabo Island.

Physical description

Comprises a white ceramic insulator attached to a rectangular metal plate.