The Kew Historical Society, founded in 1958, is one of the oldest continuing historical societies in the Greater Melbourne region. For over 60 years, the Society has worked with local government and other community organisations to stimulate interest in Kew’s history and heritage. The Society has regularly held local exhibitions, sometimes in shop windows, on other occasions in civic halls, and now at the Kew Court House and Kew Library. This and other photos taken in the same year are examples of an exhibition in the Kew City Hall.
Two foundation members of the Kew Historical Society at an early exhibition mounted by the Society. The historic 1890s oil painting of Adeney Avenue, donated to the Society in 1965 [1965.0002], can be viewed on one of the screens in the background.
Inscriptions & markings
Reverse: "KH27. Kew Historical Society member Mr Clark, and Mrs Reed in attendance at the Historical Exhibition, Festival of Kew 1976. Kew Civic Centre (Town Hall), Mr Clark, background, Mrs Reed, facing camera."