Photograph - Glendonald School for the Deaf, Marshall Avenue (Kew)
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria
- Front entrance, Glendonald, Marshall Avenue (Kew).
- glendonald - marshall avenue - kew (vic), education - deaf children - victoria
- Glendonald School for Deaf Children was run by the Victorian Education Department. It provided education and some residential services for deaf children. The school was situated in Marshall Avenue, Kew and operated from 1951–91. Deaf children whose families lived too far to travel daily were housed in a grand Victorian mansion in Belmont Avenue, Kew, the John Cannon Hostel. The school and hostel also accommodated a small number of wards of the state. Source: Glendonald School for Deaf Children (1951–91); https://www.findingrecords.dhhs.vic.gov.au/collectionresultspage/GlendonaldSchoolforDeafChildren; Accessed 05/09/2018.
- Glendonald was a significant mansion in Kew (now demolished) built for the industrialist and manufacturer Donald Leslie in 1886. The school was purchased by the Victorian Department of Education on 29 November 1950 for the sum of 16,500 pounds.
- The old school for the deaf at 17 Marshall Ave for children from the age of six years to ten years old, then they would go to 25 Marshall Ave to finish their schooling leaving age 16 years old.
- 16 Sep 2018 at 1:39PM