Historical information

Carlton Refuge/Carlton Home was established in 1857 in Madeline Street, Carlton (relocating in 1890 to Keppel Street, Carlton). The Carlton Home provided maternity care for married and unmarried mothers, and residential care for infants and toddlers unable to be at home with their mother. It also operated a day-care centre for children. Most of the residents were mothers or children on private placements. The Children's Welfare Department used the Carlton Home as a maternity home for wards, a foster home for infant wards, and for children requiring placements under the infant life protection provisions of the Children's Welfare Act. By the late 1940s, the home was in a bad state of repair and it closed in 1949. In 1951, the facility reopened as the Queen Elizabeth Maternal and Child Health Centre that also operated as an Infant Welfare and Mothercraft Training School. The Centre provided after-care for nursing mothers and babies transferring from maternity hospitals, and specialised care for babies referred by private practitioners and the Social Welfare Department – babies who were premature, frail or had feeding or similar problems. (Source: DHHS)

Significance

The photograph is a valuable primary resource relating to training for maternal and infant welfare centres in Kew, Victoria. It has a strong provenance through inscriptions linking it to the Denmark Street Maternal and Child Health Centre.

Physical description

Photograph, mounted on card of Infant Welfare Trainees and Staff, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, 1956. The photograph lists the names of the individuals below the photograph. They include: Back Row {L-R] M Whittenbury, M Bolton, E Haebich, G Barnard, M Griffiths / Middle Row [L-R] L Stevenson, T Boucher, M Madden, J Price, A Glowrey, R Helmore, M Murfet, M Lindsay / Front Row [L-R] R Buxton, W Crick, G Stott, M Buxton Matron, J Keogh, B Longmuir, E Borgelt.

Inscriptions & markings

Obverse: Infant Welfare Trainees and Staff, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, July School 1956 Reverse: "Presented to Kew Historical Soc by Dr Darbyshire following a 50 year birthday display at the Denmark Street Maternal and Child Health Centre [Kew] in May 1980. [Illegible]."