Walter John Howell was born in the Buckland Valley 30.11.1871 he died in Bright 13.05.1930.
Walter "Watty" ran his Blacksmith shop opposite the Alpine Hotel (corner of Anderson and Wood sts) from 1893 until his death in 1930. He was also proprietor of the Ovens Valley Coach Factory in Ireland Street, near the site of the present library, for a numberof years before World War 1. From 1893 he resided in Cobden Street (no.37) The medals were for attaching to a watch chain and were presented by his grandsons, Keith Edwards and Ron Howell (both born in Bright) in November 1994
The Medals were presented by the Bright Fire Brigade which has been a local volunteer organisation scince the C1870s
The Howell family were one of the first families to settle in the Buckland Valley and many descendants live in the local area
Reference to the Ovens Valley Coach Works
Quarto size ridgid card with information regarding the medal hand written in black ink. Two silver medals with inscriptions, one shield shape and the other round with a star in the center, sash and small horse shoe on the top, medals are stitched to the cardboad and taped on the reverse side.
Inscriptions & markings
Two medals, both silver, one is shield shaped with a fire reel cart inscribed on the front and inscription "B.F.B. ANNIVERSARY 11-5-94 four men won by W. Howell" and number 65. The second one in round with with a star in the center, with a small horse shoe and sash on the top, inscribed on the front, "B.F.B. Anniversary best of eight men W. Howell 11-5-94", the reverse is blank except for a small 69.