Photo - Mission Matilda
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo x 1 and proof sheet x 3.
- fundraising, answer
- Former Junior Legatee Brian Edwards set out in September 1993 to complete a flight around Australia in a tiger moth called 'Matilda' as a tribute to Legacy's 70th Anniversary. He was due to arrive at Essendon Airport on 4th October 1993 and a celebratory luncheon was held. The event was supported by Ansett Airlines and Optus Communications. The promotion in The Answer invited anyone to come to the luncheon (cost $25 a head), and greet Brian and 'Matilda'. Many school children also attended the landing.
President John Stevenson and Legatee George Woodward were among those attending and are photographed greeting Brian.
Brian had previously flown Matilda from the UK to Australia, covering over 12,00kms in 3 months.
See also photos at 00980, 00982, 00983.
- Keesing Photographic Pty Ltd (Maker)
- A record of a former Junior Legatee making a contribution to helping Legacy raise funds.
- Printed labels from Keesing Photographic on the back of each sheet.
Labelled in blue text 911003/A, 911003/B and 911003/C
- last Monday at 9:59PM