Historical information

An Article in The Herald (18 Feb 1931) records that: "FAIRVIEW OFFICIALS - AT the annual meeting of the Associates of the Fairview Golf Club the following office bearers were elected: President, Miss A, Simcocks; secretary, Miss B. Williamson; captain, Miss A. Shiells; committee, Misses Tresise, Walters, Brown and McLachlan. The captain reported that the shield presented by Mr and Mrs Bourne for competition among the clubs associated with the metropolitan mental hospitals had been won by Fairview associates, who will hold it for one year."


The trophy has historical significance as an item associated with the Melbourne Mental Hospital in the 1930s and also of social significance in that it relates to recreational pursuits undertaken by staff of the Hospital.

Physical description

Wood and silver plate shield won by the ladies team of Fairview Golf Club in the years 1930, 1931 and 1932. The Golf Club was established in 1928, and was owned and managed as part of the Kew Mental Hospital. The 9-hole golf course was located next to the Chandler Highway and is currently the site of the headquarters of Guide Dogs Victoria. The trophy formed part of the personal collection of Dr Fred Stamp, which was donated to the Kew Historical Society following his death in 2018 by his family.

Inscriptions & markings

Inscriptions on silver plate plaques - Top "Mental Hospitals", Bottom: "Ladies Golf Competition"; Bottom left: "Fairview Golf Club 1930", "Fairview Golf Club 1931" and Fairview Golf Club 1932".