Royal District Nursing Service (now known as Bolton Clarke), Forest Hill
Digital image taken at the time of the opening of the 'Annie Dane Ward' in the After-Care Hospital. Image shows Mrs. G. G. Henderson, President of the Melbourne District Nursing Society, (MDNS) receiving a Centenary gift, a cheque of 500 pounds, from Mrs. Robert Hunter, on behalf of Mr. John Stephenson Dane. Mrs. Hunter is wearing a white blouse, dark coat with a fur collar and cuffs, and a dark hat. 13 nurses wearing white uniforms, veils and dark capes are present in a semi-circle, as well as two ministers of religion, one being Rev. A. T. Holden, President-General of the Methodist Church of Australasia who dedicated the ward. Mr. Edgar, M.L.C. who officially designated the ward stands behind and between Mrs. Henderson and Mrs. Hunter. Mrs Henderson is wearing a white blouse, dark coat and hat, and white gloves and is standing behind a small white table. On the rear wall, above the fireplace, hangs a portrait of Mrs. Dane.
The Melbourne District Nursing Society, (MDNS), built the After-Care Home in 1926. The home was extended and the name changed to Melbourne District Nursing Society and After-Care Hospital in 1934. It was situated at 39-45 Victoria Parade, Collingwood. Patients of the Society who needed more care than could be given at home, but did not need hospitalization were nursed there, along with many patients from Melbourne hospitals who needed further care before going home. Many children were nursed in the hospital, some long term during the Polio epidemic and schooling was given in the hospital. In September 1930 an Ante-Natal Clinic was established. In October 1934 a Women's Welfare Clinic was opened to educate women on birth control. This was the first of its kind in Melbourne. In 1934 the After Care Home became known as the After Care Hospital and was under District's banner until 1956. Various Wards were named after donors or patrons of MDNS. In 1957 the MDNS and the After-Care separated with the Government taking over the running of the After-Care. Melbourne District Nursing Society then became the Melbourne District Nursing Service.
Opening of the 'Annie Dane Ward' in the After-Care Hospital