Elizabeth Wilson met James Henry Courtney at the annual Lord Mayor's Ball on 28 August 1890. In 1892, Capt James Courtney moved to 'Courtland' an architect-designed house at 31 Jenkin Street, Northcote. James married Elizabeth at Nth Fitzroy. Several years later they moved to 108 McKean Street, Nth Fitzrory. Capt and Mrs Courtney were guests at the official opening of the Australian Parliament on 9 May 1901, the reception at the Exhibition Building that evening, and the Royal Review at Flemington the following day. Finally they moved to 'Lumeah', a brick villa at 11 Belmont Avenue, Kew.
Black silk floor length skirt with black lining and internal tapes. The skirt is distinguished by a gathered hem giving the impression of ruffles. With the donation, there is also an accompanying group of copied photographs of the Courtney family, including one which shows Elizabeth Courtney, the owner of the skirt. The skirt was donated by Frances Courtney, a descendant by marriage of the original owner.