From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo of Junior Plain Speaking contest in 1995
- 215 x 140 mm
- legacy promotion, speaking contest
- For many years from 1988, Legacy held a public speaking contest called the Junior Plain English Speaking Award. Schools were eligible to send along representatives that competed.
The following was taken from a programme in 1996: "The Award aim is to promote enhanced oral communication skills for 12-14 year old students and to help young people appreciate the ideals of Legacy - voluntary service, caring and comradeship - and the need for remembrance. It began in 1988 in the Melbourne area with the support of the Ministry of Education and The Plain English Foundation.
Entries have grown from 24 in the 1988 competition to over 300 in schools across the Stat, plus greater numbers participating in the process of selecting four contestants from each school. In 1995, a successful Interstate Championship was held with contestants from Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland. On 11 November 1996 the first National final was held with contestants from six states."
This is a photo of two men presenting certificates to two schoolgirls.
- A record of a Junior Plain Speaking contest that was run by Legacy from 1988 to the 1990s.
- Stamped on the back 29 May 1995 in blue ink.
- Wednesday at 9:30AM