Cr. W.D. Vaughan in 'Kew's Civic History' (1960) records that: "In connection with the Melbourne Centenary Celebrations in 1934, the Kew Council decided to organise a strong post as an appropriate gesture of welcome to H.R.H. the Duke of Gloucester. Also that the municipality be represented by a symbolic floral float in the Royal pageant. This was a striking entry and won first prize, and evoked much comment on account of its originality and truly Australian motif." The photograph of the Kew Strong Post was once part of the Municipal Collection of the former City of Kew and was presented to the Kew Historical Society before the move from the Walpole Street (Kew) Town Hall to new Civic offices in Charles Street in 1971.
Historic photograph of participation by the City of Kew in celebrations for a royal visit
Framed and glazed photograph on its original inscribed mount and original frame of the Kew "Strong Post" in St Kilda Road on the occasion of the visit to Melbourne of the Duke of Gloucester. The photograph has two components, at the upper left is a photo of the royal carriage while the man photo shows the people of Kew on a decorated 'Strong Post' on St Kilda Road, along which the procession progressed. T
Inscriptions & markings
"Centenary Celebrations / Kew "Strong Post" St Kilda Road / On the occasion of the visit of / H.R.H. The Duke of Gloucester / October 18th 1934."