Historical information

This indenture once formed part of the City of Kew's Municipal Collection. Cr. W.D. Vaughan in his history 'Kew's Civic Century' (1960) records on page 194 that: "The original deed of conveyance of the land being all of Crown Portion 86, Kew, purchased by John Quick, James Venn Morgan, Samuel Derrick and William Derrick was presented by the Historical Society of Victoria on behalf of Mrs Fryer, a daughter of the later J.V. Morgan, to the [Kew] Council on August 5, 1941. Crown Portion 86, comprised all the land between Cotham Road and High Street to an alignment opposite the east boundary of Glenferrie Road. On it the first residential house was built by Mr. J.V. Morgan in 1852." Following the donation, the Indenture was surrounded by other original related text and explanatory notes and framed. The resulting framed documents are the largest framed objects in the collection.


The Indenture and the accompanying contextual documents are some of the most historically significant manuscripts to have survived since the settlement of Kew in the 1850s. They provide a link to Kew's most famous pioneering families.

Physical description

Framed 1952 Indenture recording the sale of land in Kew to pioneering Kew families.