Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Architectural Fragments - Chips From Old Law Courts, Russell Street (Melb)

From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc Level 1, Kew Court House 188 High Street Kew Victoria

Description
Matchbox containing architectural fragments from the old law courts [Supreme Court] in Russell Street. The matchbox has a label on the front and more detailed information included in a note inside the box. The item is believed to have belonged to the historian Dorothy Rogers.
Object Registration
1974.0006
Keywords
dorothy rogers collection, supreme court - melbourne (vic), supreme court of victoria - russell street - melbourne (vic)
Historical information
The law court buildings on the corner of Russell and La Trobe Streets (Melbourne) were later to house the Supreme Court of Victoria. The law courts were built in 1842. The inscription by Dorothy Rogers [sic] incorrectly describes the builders as Swanson Bros., who instead were the builders of the later Magistrates Court on the same site.
Inscriptions & Markings
Exterior "Chips from the old law courts Russell St." Inside: "Court House built by Swanson Bros in 1842 of Moorabool Stone & opened 1st time [sic] in 1843. Stone composed of tiny shells".
Last updated
7 Jan 2019 at 8:51AM