From the Collection of Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch 1 Victoria Parade Wangaratta Victoria
- Reproduced black and white photograph of tent structures with supplies and vehicles in foreground.
- 25.5cm W x 20cm H
- 2/24th battalion, wangaratta, tarakan, ww2
- View of HQ Australian Army Services Corps Issuing Depot on Tarakan Island.
- The 2/24th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army, which served during World War II .A unit of all-volunteers, it was formed in July 1940 from primarily Victorian volunteers and was known as "Wangaratta's Own" because of the time the battalion spent in the town during its formative period prior to deployment overseas. It served in North Africa in 1941–1942 as part of the 26th Brigade, which was assigned to the 7th Division, before being reassigned to the 9th Division. In early 1943, the battalion returned to Australia and later took part in campaigns against the Japanese in New Guinea in 1943–1944 and Borneo in 1945, before being disbanded in 1946. The 2/24th suffered the highest number of casualties of any 2nd AIF infantry battalion. The Unit was granted the Freedom of the City by the Rural City of Wangaratta in 1996 and one of the first, if not the first, to receive this type of honour.
- Handwritten on rear - Tarakan
- 18 Jan 2019 at 6:43PM