From the Collection of Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch 2-4 Templeton Street Wangaratta Victoria
- Reproduced black and white photograph of two rows of long buildings with four men between one small building and two rows of tent like structures in the foreground. There are small buildings and smoke rising in the background.
- 25.5cm W x 20cm H
- 2/24th battalion, tarakan, ww2
- Image appears to be of Army camp based near/at rural village with outlying buildings on Tarakan Island
- The 2/24th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army, which served during World War II .A unit of all-volunteers, it was formed in July 1940 from primarily Victorian volunteers and was known as "Wangaratta's Own" because of the time the battalion spent in the town during its formative period prior to deployment overseas. It served in North Africa in 1941–1942 as part of the 26th Brigade, which was assigned to the 7th Division, before being reassigned to the 9th Division. In early 1943, the battalion returned to Australia and later took part in campaigns against the Japanese in New Guinea in 1943–1944 and Borneo in 1945, before being disbanded in 1946. The 2/24th suffered the highest number of casualties of any 2nd AIF infantry battalion. The Unit was granted the Freedom of the City by the Rural City of Wangaratta in 1996 and one of the first, if not the first, to receive this type of honour.
- On rear - Boxing ring on Tarakan
- 25 Jun 2020 at 12:28PM