From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Australian Military Forces button and a navy button collected by J B McLean.
- 01121.1 18 mm Dia ; 01121.2 26 mm Dia
- world war one
- Two buttons that once belonged to J B McLean. He might have kept them as keepsakes of his time in the army in World War 1.
Was with other World War 1 memorabilia that has come from Private John Basil McLean, 2nd Reinforcements, 37th Battalion, A.I.F.
J.B. McLean (Service No. 13824) was from near Maffra, Victoria and enlisted on 22 January 1916. He embarked on 16 December 1916 for Europe. He spent time with the Australian Field Artillery (Pack Section). At the end of the war he worked for a year at the A.I.F. Headquarters in London before returning to Australia on the 'Ceramic', arriving in Portsea in 1920. His full war record is available from the National Archives of Australia (B2455, MCLEAN JBM).
- This is an example of mementos held by an ex soldier. These buttons would have been very familiar to many Legatees that served in WW1.
- 01121.1 Australian Military Forces on the front
01121.2 On reverse the makers 'Firmin and Sons Ld London'
- 18 Aug 2019 at 9:23PM