This Australian Womens Army Services (AWAS) Hat
belonged to Marion (Tib) Owler.
Established in August 1941, the AWAS in consisted of 6000 women by January 1942. Some 20,000 were in service by the end of that same year. They worked in roles including administration, driving, catering, signals and intelligence, and were paid around two-thirds of their male counterparts.
The item represents Australian women’s army uniform headdress from WW 2. The hat’s stylish design was an important aspect of the recruiting campaign for the women’s services of 1942.
Fur felt brimmed hat. Band holds Rising Sun badge centre front, and a red & blue unit colour patch is also attached to the band on the side.
Inscriptions & markings
tagged - kyn rsl 2012/3