Historical information

Colour enlargement of a photograph (slide) of Southesk (formerly Ordsall) in Cotham Road, Kew (demolished 1970).

Physical description

Colour photograph of the front lawn and façade of ‘Southesk’ (formerly ‘Ordsall’, built for John Halfey in 1882). The house was located on the corner of Cotham Road and Charles Street, Kew. The Italianate mansion was built in the Renaissance villa style on a bluestone plinth. Two balustrades surrounded the parapet of the roof and ran between the groups of pillars on either side of the entrance porch. The verandah was tiled and wide and Corinthian columns supported its roof. When the house passed into the hands of the City of Kew in 1948, the landscaping and formal flower beds were removed and replaced by lawns.The house was demolished in 1970.