Photo, Ceremony at the Shrine
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo of an Anzac Commemoration Ceremony for students at the Shrine in 1982 with two junior Legatees at the Cenotaph (World War II memorial). Two paper labels typed in black ink.
- 170 x 125 mm
- anzac commemoration for students, wreath laying ceremony
- A Legacy ceremony at the Shrine of Remembrance. One of the annual "Anzac Commemoration Ceremony for Students" events, usually held just prior to ANZAC Day. This was taken in 1982. The ceremony provides a valuable opportunity for students to gain an appreciation of the Anzac spirit, the significance of the Shrine and the meaning of Anzac Day.
It is a photo of two school children laying a wreath at the Cenotaph. They are named as two Junior Legatees, Peter Manning and either Bridget Riggs or Gayle Goulding (the two labels are contradictory). It is possible one of the labels belong to another photo (item 01200) as they were found in the same envelope and it appears to be the same boy in both photos. However both labels were attached to this photo.
Item was in an envelope with other photos and programmes from different School Student ceremonies. Labelled S15 in red pen it was part of an old archive numbering system, that showed there has been efforts in the past to collect, order and save items of Legacy's history.
- A record of a ceremony for school students at the Shrine.
- Photo is stamped with Copyright of Herald and Weekly Times in green ink. Handwritten 'Peter Manning and Bridget Riggs' in purple texta. '820423/120' in blue pen. Label says: 'At Melbourne Legacy's Annual School Children's Anzac Commemoration this year Junior legatees, Gayle Goulding and Peter Manning representing all Junior Legatees, laid a wreath at the foot of the World War Two Memorial.'
Other label says: Junior Legatees Peter Manning and Bridget Riggs observe a minutes silence after laying a wreath near the Eternal Flame at the Shrine of Remembrance. They were among 1100 children from 54 schools who attended Melbourne Legacy's 51st Annual school children's Anzac Commemoration Ceremony at the Shrine. Photo courtesy Sun News-Pictorial.'
- 3 May 2019 at 11:59AM