Brochure describing the ideal and activities of the Legacy Club in 1930.
A brochure explaining 'A brief account of its ideals and work' in 1930.
The notation H4 in red pen shows that it was part of the archive project that was trying to capture the history of Legacy.
The brochure mentions clubs had started in the Federal and state capitals, and Geelong, Ararat, Ballarat, Fremantle, Ipswich and Bendigo.
Members were all men who had served in the forces of the British Empire during the war. It shows the work of Legacy as :
Junior Legacy Club - which had been running for 5 years, for sons (aged 9 to 21) of deceased soldiers. Members of the Legacy Club were in constant touch and acted as Big Brothers.
Boys' Literary and Debating Branch - approximately 95 boys attended weekly meetings of a debating society at Anzac House.
Boys' Physical Training Branch - for the boys physical welfare classes and conducted weekly by a permanent instructor (paid by Legacy). There were 270 boys attending. Also cricket, football, Lacrosse and swimming clubs, all supervised and coached. 'A permanent camp has been erected at Balnarring East, and this is occupied by the boys at the Christmas vacation under the control of Legatee Stan Savige, and the girls at Easter, with Mrs Gilles in charge. The value of these camps in enabling Junior Legatees to become better acquainted and in the development of character and the Legacy spirit cannot be overestimated'.
Girls' Physical Training Branch - started in 1927 and now over 200 girls were being instructed by Mrs AM Gilles (the wife of a Legatee).
Lending Library of over 600 books.
Vocational placements for junior legatees.
Meetings were held in the Victoria Palace Hotel, Little Collins St, on Tuesdays and included an informative lecture.
The policy and objectives were laid out including to preserve the memory of fallen comrades and to assist their dependents, particularly the children. Also to maintain a spirit of comradeship, and to safeguard the good standing and interests of ex-servicemen in the community.
The brochure shows activities as: Employment Committee, Comradeship Committee, a pledge to assist the National War Memorial being established on the Domain site, and for the children the 'Deceased Soldiers' Children's Welfare Committee.
Also picnics, Christmas camp, cycle club, and rambles as arranged. There is help for vocational options for the children. It is mentioned during 1930 which consisted of 'a hospital ward, mess room seating 80, a kitchen and storeroom. Also tent frames and necessary offices are provided and the total value of the building and equipment owned by the Club is our £600.'
See also 01478 for a copy from 1928.
This is one of the first documents that promotes Legacy and summarises its objective and services.
Inscriptions & Markings
Handwritten 'H4' in red pen.