Stories Organisations Projects About Login

Joyce Conder

From the Collection of Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute (BMI Ballarat) 117 Sturt St Ballarat Vic

Object Registration
AVMS07
Keywords
ballarat, shop, candy, milk bar, sturt st, conder's, joyce conder, sweets, smokes, coffee, counter, milkshakes, icecream
Historical information
This photograph is held in the Ballaarat Mechanics' Institute Audio Visual Collection. Please contact BMI for all print and usage inquiries.

Donated by Marilyn Stewart, her father was Jack Conder, owner of the well known Sturt St (number 12) candy store known as Conder’s. Jack started the business in 1941 when he was only 25, and ran it into the mid 80s with his wife Joyce at the counter beside him.

Marilyn remembers the delicious banana spilts that would come with three scoops of icecream and plentiful whipped cream and toppings like syrups and nuts, with wafers to complete the dish. Conder’s was a popular meeting place to visit before and after the dances and movies, and would often be full of people.

Along with candy and chocolates, the shop also sold sandwiches, pies and pasties, along with cigarettes, papers, & bread from the bakery on weekend.
Jack also had the first Espresso coffee machine in Ballarat! He was always up with the latest trends in the shop but also with cars. Marilyn recalls his love of American cars, with the big fins, and he had many over the years. It would have been a familiar sight seeing him drive down Sturt St with his chevrolet or latest stylish model.
Last updated
20 May 2019 at 8:19PM