Police Stations (Alexandra)
From the Collection of Victoria Police Museum Mezzanine Level World Trade Centre Siddeley Street Docklands Victoria
- 1 black and white photo and 3 colour photos
- police stations; alexandra police station
- Alexandra is a regional centre in the Shire of Murrindindi in Victoria, Australia and 130 kilometres north east of Melbourne.
Alexandra Police Station opened in the Benalla Police District on 8 May 1867 in Bon Street, on the north side near Grant Street. When the station opened it was staffed by one Senior Constable; one 1st Constable (Mounted); one Foot Constable. The original building was a nine-roomed brick building with an iron roof on land measuring 84' x 97’. The house included a wash-house, pantry, bathroom, office, one W.C., stabling for three horses, a lock-up with two rooms and a single man's room. It closed in June 1977 and was replaced by a new police station which opened on 16 June 1977 in Bon Street, on land adjacent to the old police station.
For a list of Officers in Charge 1871 to 1943 contact Victoria Police Museum
- 11 Nov 2019 at 10:40AM