Police Stations (Altona)
From the Collection of Victoria Police Museum Mezzanine Level World Trade Centre Siddeley Street Docklands Victoria
- 8 black and white photos of new police station, 1963
- police stations; altona police station
- Altona is a suburb of Melbourne, 13 km south-west of Melbourne's CBD and located within the City of Hobsons Bay
Altona Police Station opened as a temporary police station in 1919 in the Melbourne District. It was on the corner Sargood and Blyth Streets. It was staffed by one 1st Constable. The original police station was in a small room attached to the front of a 5-roomed weather-board dwelling with an iron roof on land measuring 66' x 165'. There was also a kitchen, vestibule, wash-house, office, one W.C. and a lock-up. In 1929 it became part of the Bourke District. On 31 March 1958 it moved into newly built government premises at 51-53 Blyth Street, on the corner of Bent Street. The building consisted of a cream brick veneer police residence and police station with cell. Staff was increased to a Sergeant in Charge and 3 Constables. A new police station was opened in Altona North on 7th October 1979. The Altona Police Station remained as a sub-station for a few a short time until the building was sold.
July 2019 - a new police station is being constructed at 1 Galvin Street, Altona. Galvin Street was names after S/C Michael Arthur Galvin, 3651, who was appointed on 5 Jan 1886 and resigned on 4 Dec 1913. He was Werribee Shire President 1926-1927 and 1940-1941
- 11 Nov 2019 at 10:38AM