From the Collection of Wangaratta RSL Sub Branch 1 Victoria Parade Wangaratta Victoria
- Reproduced black and white photograph of band of soldiers with musical instruments
- 30cm W x 20cm H
- 2/24th battalion, wangaratta, palestine, 1941, 7th division band contest
- Image depicts soldiers of the 2/24 Battalion Band - Winners of the 7th Division Band Contest in Palestine February 1941
- The 2/24th Battalion was an infantry battalion of the Australian Army, which served during World War II .A unit of all-volunteers, it was formed in July 1940 from primarily Victorian volunteers and was known as "Wangaratta's Own" because of the time the battalion spent in the town during its formative period prior to deployment overseas. It served in North Africa in 1941–1942 as part of the 26th Brigade, which was assigned to the 7th Division, before being reassigned to the 9th Division. In early 1943, the battalion returned to Australia and later took part in campaigns against the Japanese in New Guinea in 1943–1944 and Borneo in 1945, before being disbanded in 1946. The 2/24th suffered the highest number of casualties of any 2nd AIF infantry battalion. The Unit was granted the Freedom of the City by the Rural City of Wangaratta in 1990 and one of the first, if not the first, to receive this type of honour.
- Handwritten on rear - 2/24 Bn Band Winners of 7 Div Band Contest Palestine 1941
- 26 Oct 2019 at 2:24PM