Police stations (Aitken's Gap)
From the Collection of Victoria Police Museum Mezzanine Level World Trade Centre Siddeley Street Docklands Victoria
- 15 colour photos and 1 black and white photo
- police stations; aitken's gap police station
- Aitken's Gap, otherwise known as The Gap or Buttlejork, and 3km west of Sunbury, was established as a township in 1845. It is in the area which is now bordered by the Calder Highway and Gap Road. The village was named after John Aitken, a Port Phillip pastoralist who took up the Mount Aitken run in 1836.
Aitken's Gap Police Barracks (in the District of Bourke) opened in 1853 and was staffed by two Mounted Constables and one Foot Constable. The gaol (used to house prisoners and also gold en route to Melbourne) was built in 1857 from bluestone quarried in the area. The roof was made of slate. In 1861 it was staffed by 1 Mounted Senior Constable and 1 Foot Constable. The Barracks closed in 1863 when the Bendigo rail line was completed and the gold was transported to Melbourne by rail. All the buildings, except the gaol, were moved to Sunbury. The land was sold in 1870 and in 1989 the current owner donated the building to the Sunbury Police. The original building was dismantled, restored and rebuilt outside Sunbury police station.
- 11 Nov 2019 at 10:18AM