Pharmaceutical Collection - Dispensary Books, Apothecary Jars, and Sundry Bottles
From the Collection of Kew Historical Society Inc 1 Civic Drive Kew Victoria
- The Brenda and Bob Johnston Collection is comprised of 19th and 20th century pharmaceutical records, books, apothecary jars and pharmaceutical implements. The items in the collection were used and or available for sale by chemists who occupied 167 High Street, beginning with Francis Barnard. The most important items in the collection are two dispensary books, one from the 1880s and the other from the start of the 20th century. Both were owned and compiled by Francis and his son FGA Barnard. The collection was donated to the Kew Historical Society over a number of years. The most recent donation by Brenda Johnson includes approximately 50 bottles labelled with the names of a number of pharmacists who ran the dispensary. Of these 34 held pharmaceuticals, 8 food or drink, and 5 miscellaneous.
- chemist supplies, pharmaceutical items, dispensary books, fga barnard, brenda johnson, francis barnard, 167 high street - kew (vic), apothecary jars, medicines & health
- The original pharmacy established by Francis Barnard was situated on the site later occupied from 1888 by the Kew Post Office, Court House, and Police Station. Francis Barnard moved his dispensary to 167 High Street in 1886 when the land on which his original business stood was compulsorily acquired by the Victorian Government. When FGA Barnard sold the pharmacy at 167 High Street, it was owned by a number of other pharmacists including: Paton, later Malone, last proprietor Brenda Johnson.
- c.1886 - c.1950s
- The Brenda and Bob Johnson collection represents an important continuous historical record of pharmaceutical and commercial practice in Victoria in the 19th and 20th centuries. Many of the items warrant additional research. The Kew Historical Society is seeking a suitably qualified and interested researcher to audit, describe and evaluate the collection.
- Various labels
- 4 Aug 2019 at 9:49AM