Photo - 'Digger'
From the Collection of Melbourne Legacy 293 Swanston Street Melbourne Victoria
- Black and white photo of Pat Hanna as a 'Digger' and a two page recollection of the photoshoot with Jack Cato.
- hanna, solider
- An iconic image of a soldier, eyes raised to the sky, taken by photographer Jack Cato in 1932. He used the artist/entertainer Pat Hanna as a model in the photoshoot. Pat wrote down his experience in a moving two page document 'The Story Behind the Picture', it tells how he was moved to imagine the action in France when posing.
The image is described as the portrait of a soldier, eyes raised to the sky. This portrait is a study which is called 'The spirit of Anzac' or 'The Digger'. Pat Hanna, said he tried to recreate the "look something between fear and defiance which we have all seen so often, and which will always remain in my memory as typical of our gallant old cobbers 'the Diggers'". A colour image is held in the AWM collection.
The photo was stored with other items including a letter to Frank (possibly L/- Frank Doolan who was making an attempt to collect items relevant to Legacy's history for an official archive project - see items 01400 to 01404).
Pat Hanna was an entertainer, comedian, artist and producer of reveues, plays and movies. One of his first revues was performed just after the armistice in France. His popular stage show was 'Diggers' that performed in many towns in Australia post-war and adapted into a film in 1931.
He was born George Patrick Hanna, 18 March 1888 in Whitianga, New Zealand and served in the First World War, was a founding member of Melbourne Legacy and was involved with Legacy for many years.
- Jack Cato (Maker), Pat Hanna (Maker)
- Pat Hanna was a founding member of Melbourne Legacy and an artist and producer. Legacy kept some of his works in the archive.
- Handwritten on photo 'Digger' in black ink in Pat Hanna's handwriting. Handwritten on reverse " 'The Digger', sometimes called 'The spirit of Anzac' / photo Jack Cato / model -Pat Hanna" in black ink. Typed on a paper note 'Spirit of Anzac / Pat Hanna'. Stamped with copyright of The Age in blue ink.
- 27 Jul 2020 at 2:40PM